Monday, June 15, 2009

Interview With Mario Dedivanovic, Kim Kardashian's Makeup Artist!



Happy Monday, my pretties. It’s a very happy day, indeed…because I've got a treat for you.

Remember how awesome it was when Kim Kardashian’s makeup artist, Mario Dedivanovic, answered some of my beauty questions on Kim’s blog? Well, brace yourselves…because I’m taking awesomeness to a whole nuther level.

I scored an interview…the interview…with makeup master Mario. Read on to learn more about the man behind his muse’s beauty-licious look...

Mario Dedivanovic began his beauty career at a young age as a makeup artist behind New York City retail counters. Now- after almost a decade of working with models, actresses and entertainers - Mario’s renown has skyrocketed, securing him a place among the world’s best fashion and celebrity makeup professionals. He has created countless editorial and red carpet looks for celebrities, all of whom showcase the skill, talent, personality and attention to detail that is brought to every transformation he creates.

In addition to Kim Kardashian, Mario Dedivanovic’s amazing celebrity clientele has included Natasha Bedingfield, Adrienne Bailon, Lil’ Kim, Gisele and many others. His work has graced the pages of dozens of magazines, including Glamour, Teen Vogue, Marie Claire and People. When he’s not traveling to sets, runway shows and events, Mario lives in his hometown of New York City.

SP: When did your fascination with makeup begin?
MD: It began when I was 17 years old and working at Sephora. I was surrounded by makeup and women would ask me for my opinion and help with their makeup. I jumped right in to help and fell in love. When I saw the way a woman looked and felt after applying a little bit of makeup, I was fascinated. I wanted to do it more and more!

SP: What was your first big break in the beauty industry?
MD: Hmmm, I'm honestly not really sure if there was a first "big break." When I signed with my first agency, I felt official. Also, when I got my first ad campaign for Head and Shoulders some years ago.



SP: Describe your makeup style.
MD: Polished and classic. I'm obsessed with making a face look very polished and pretty. Kim K says my signature style is timeless and flawless makeup that looks airbrushed. What do you think? LOL.

SP: Which makeup artists do you most admire?
MD: Max Factor, Kevyn Aucoin, Francois Nars, Pat McGrath, Charlotte Tilbury - the list goes on and on. These are makeup artists whose work really made and makes an impact in the industry and inspires so many people around the world.

SP: How did you become Kim Kardashian's makeup artist?
MD: I met Kim Kardashian a couple of years ago when I was booked to do her makeup for a cover shoot for Social Life magazine. She loved the makeup and we totally worked really well together. She is definitely my muse.





SP: What do you like most about working with Kim?
MD: Besides her gorgeous face, the fact that she just loves makeup and loves getting it done. She has trust in me and lets me do my thing.



SP: For a Kim Kardashian wannabe, what are the top five products she needs in her makeup bag (and why)? MD:
1) Concealer that's lighter then the skin color to brighten the under eye area. Kim loves to be lighter under the eye, and so do I!
2) Powder - Kim is definitely a matte makeup girl. She likes to be glowy, but in the right areas. Powder always on the t-zone.
3) Black eyeliner - need I say more?
4) Mascara - She loves big lashes.
5) A nude lip gloss - just because ;)

SP: What products and techniques do you use to create Kim's gorgeous golden tan glow?
MD: Most of the time, I use powder products to create the 'golden glow.' I find that powders look better for longer periods of time. I frame her face (forehead, hollows of the cheeks and jawline) with a matte bronzer. Right now, I'm using the Smashbox bronzers in both colors as well as the Dior matte bronzer. After, I apply a golden, shimmery products to the cheekbones and bridge of nose. Trace Gold by MAC is a great color/shade. The trick is to blend everything very well so there are no lines or blotches.

SP: What tips do you have for choosing a nude lip color to flatter your complexion?
MD: Choosing a nude lip color can sometimes be tricky and look almost "chalky." I like to make the center of the lips the most nude and blend it out to the rest of lip. If you have darker/tanner skin, go for nude shades that are not too pinky or white and instead more yellow/golden. If you have light/pale skin, do the opposite.

SP: Any nude lipstick/lip gloss recommendations for, say, a brown-skinned beauty blogger with Halle Berry's complexion?
MD: LOL! There's a really inexpensive color I like to use sometimes...called your foundation! Try putting a bit of your foundation on the lips with a clear gloss on top. It looks oh so good.



SP: What products are must-haves for summer (and why)?
MD: Primer. Right now I'm using Smashbox's primer and MAC's primer. It helps the makeup to stay put and spread well. Oil blotting tissues - instead of re-applying powder all day, blot your face to absorb the oil. B-dazzle by Giella custom blend cosmetics - it's an amazing color (loose shadow or can be made into a pencil) that looks good on every skin tone. Apply it to the inner corner of the eyes to brighten up and separate the eyes. It reflects great in the sun too.

SP: If you could only use one brand of makeup for the rest of your career, what would it be (and why)?
MD: Oh no. I think I would change careers! That's the most difficult question to answer and would require a lot of research. Ask me when I create my own line. ;)

SP: What is your #1 beauty secret/tip?
MD: Blending. For me, blending is so important. Invest in good brushes and sponges, and blend until you can’t blend anymore!



Source: Spoilpretty.com

No comments:

Post a Comment