Tuesday, June 16, 2009

the plague or a wretched over-sized ....

Avoiding this bag like the plague or a wretched over-sized scarlet letter, I have placed my eyes and mind behind a rock for as long as I can. But there is so much fuss over this egregious error in the handbag world, that I might as well give my 2 cents. Limited edition handbags give us purse fanatics something to drool over, to lust after, to want. Louis Vuitton has released many limited edition lines in the past that were total hits. But there comes a time when no matter how limited something is, no matter how much fuss goes behind it, no matter how limited the quantity is, the product just plain old sucks.

That is exactly what we are facing with the Louis Vuitton Tribute Patchwork Bag which combines samples of 15 different Louis Vuitton Handbags from the spring/summer cruise line. There is a little of this and a little of that. The ‘this’ is seriously hideous while the ‘that’ makes my eyes burn as if I have looked into the burning sun for about 5 days straight. It is like a train wreck smörgåsbord. It is a clean edged persons’ nightmare. It is the laughing stock of the handbag world. It is sold out world wide, all 24 of them. Yes, that is right, sold out. I can hardly even fathom why anyone would drop over $45,000 on the top one or $38,000 on the bottom one.

The way I see it is that this was a PR stunt for a company that is well-established and really did not need the bad PR. What really gets me thinking that this is ’shameless PR promotion’ is the fact that this bag keeps getting named the “most expensive bag in the world“. Pluueaaaze. Anyone hear of a Hermes Croc Diamond Encrusted Birkin? That is a work of art and can start around $80k and reach upwards of $130k. So I don’t want to hear this false information about the Patchwork being the most expensive bag in the world. Yet, of the 24 bags, all have been sold in record time. Bet your bottom you will see one marked up on eBay soon, my guess, around $60,000. While I understand owning a piece that is so limited is enticing, I would think that the way the piece actually looks should play a part in it all. A Louis Vuitton spokesperson said that these fug bags “take all the best parts of the season’s creations and rolls them into one. We are confident that the bag is utterly exclusive and that it will remain so.” I don’t think you will have a problem with these staying exclusive, no one in their right mind will really want one, and many people that do can not afford it, and those who were tripping when they bought it are still too trippy to know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment